This is probably one of my favorite places. It has two things I love: swings and a pond. I have always loved going to the park and playing on the swings. Whenever I go there it just makes me smile for some reason. It's like I go back to being a kid for a few minutes. I find a swing that has a soft creaking sound and take that swing as high as I can go. As I swing I look out at the pond and the day stops moving. Whether on my lunch break, an evening walk, or a weekend visit, happiness lives here for me. Nothing special or life-changing happened here. It's just my own special spot.
Reading through John 4 something new struck out to me about Jesus and the Samaritan woman. Everyday the Samaritan woman had to draw water from the well. I imagine that this was one of her favorite places. It was her time away from people that judged her. Even though she had to go to it in the heat of day, it was her spot to reflect and escape life for a few brief minutes. The peace of that place couldn't follow her back to her home, but the presence of Jesus brought new life. I love how He met her in her happy place. He met her at her own special spot away from the world and the life she created for herself. He called her out on things, but He did it so He could offer her life in abundance. He didn't meet her in a confrontational manner. He did it in and out of love. After meeting Jesus her life changed forever. That day it went from being just HER place to the place where that whole town of people came to know Jesus. Jesus turned her happiness into joy; a joy that followed her from that well into her hometown. I'm sure after that her special place held a new meaning. Jesus took an ordinary task like gathering water for the day, and made it life-altering. Don't you just love Him? :-)
Now he had to go through Samaria. So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” John 4:4-7


No comments:
Post a Comment