Saturday, April 21, 2012

Do It Anyway

Lately I have been trying to work out more. For the past year the thought of exercise alone has left me tired. I have the "gift of laziness." It is a natural talent that hasn't taken much effort to develop just a lot of time. I was working out yesterday with a friend, and as we were walking around the track. I noticed my sneaker-laces were untied. I didn't feel like taking care of it right away because again I am lazy. Bending over, reaching for my laces, tying them, getting up...really is quite an effort (mostly sarcastic, slightly serious). Well several older women at the gym didn't know that I knew my shoelaces were untied, and that I planned to keep them that way for a while. Probably 4 ladies in a row felt the need to tell me my laces were untied. They didn't know me, but they were afraid I would trip and fall. At the time I thought it was funny how many ladies stopped to tell me about my sneaker-laces. I started to make predictions in my mind about who would comment next. After a couple of minutes I decided it would probably be a smart idea to bend down and tie my sneakers.

I am not big into hyper-spirtualizing things. However, I do believe that God uses common things to reveal Himself. After all He has chosen humans made of dust and dirt to bear His holy image. I love how Jesus taught deep truths through stories. For me it makes the lesson sink further into me, and I remember it more often. 

I began thinking about my untied laces and the ladies who told me about them. As Christ-followers we have a responsibility to tell others about their need for Christ. They may already know their need, but it isn't on their agenda to do anything about it for some time. They want to "live" their lives first, and then come to God "later." We are still supposed to speak with His love and most importantly live in His love. You may be seen as annoying or laughable in this world for speaking the truth to someone in kindness. Do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment