Woohoo! I woke up. Very excited about this if you can’t tell by the woohooing. I decided to stick with John 1 another day. It is just full of too much awesomeness to only do 1 blog on it. It amazes me how fast the disciples followed Jesus. For what these men would sacrifice to follow Jesus it is humbling to think they went forward without blinking an eye. Sometimes you just know without a doubt that something is right.
I graduated from Florida State University, and I can still remember applying to attend there along with some other colleges. I wanted to go everywhere, but stay in Florida. I applied to a school in Chicago, another in California, and another in New York City. Florida State was my in-state application. When I got the acceptance letter from FSU I knew that was where I was supposed to go, so I moved forward with the next steps. Only things were I had never visited the campus, had no close friends going there, and I didn’t know much about the school or the area in general. Even though it didn’t make much sense “logically,” I just knew that was where I needed to be. Couldn’t really explain it with words. Couldn’t justify it on my own.
When two of John’s disciples heard him say that Jesus was the Lamb of God they followed Jesus (1:35-37). No hesitation. I firmly believe that God set a peace in their hearts because he knew them. Many others would come to him and express with words no hesitation, but with one question Jesus would reveal how much they wavered. They also couldn’t keep the joy they had found to themselves (41-45). They weren’t even full-fledged disciples themselves, but they had to go out and make more! What they had been waiting for had finally arrived! Nathanael’s response is probably one of my favorites. When he is told about Jesus he says, “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” (46). Then he is easily swayed over when Jesus reveals where he was sitting before he was approached. In response Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” He then added, “Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on’ the Son of Man” (50-51). More amazing things are to come from our discipleship under Christ. More amazing than even our conversions. Carry that with you today. The best is yet to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment