I’ve decided this morning that I am going to go through the book of John on this blog. With God’s help, a loud alarm clock, and strong tea/coffee I want to start off the day reading the Word of God and meditating on it. I am good at reading the Bible…you know the Speedy Gonzalez approach of checking it off my list and going about my day. That simply isn’t enough.
The first chapter of John is packed with application. I almost want to spend a week on John 1 alone. I might split the chapter into parts. Every time I read this chapter something new can be discovered. John 1:1-5 consistently stands out to me. If you don’t know me, let me tell you about my love of words. I LOVE words! I love to sing them, rhyme them, turn them into metaphors or similes, speak in hyperboles, encourage others through them, challenge them to go deeper, use them to make people laugh, etc. Words and me go way back, but not as far as the Word and God.
John 1:1-5 basically says God is His Word. God brought forth the world with words. Genesis 1:3 records that God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. He cannot be separated from His Word. That is why there is one thing that God can’t do. He cannot break His Word because it is who He is. John 1:14 describes Jesus as “the Word [that] became flesh and dwelt among us.” Really take time to consider what this means. If Christ Followers are called to be like Jesus and His Word is the same as whom He is, then we should reflect on what our words say about us. We need to mind our tongue. Words bring life or death. If you speak lovingly, then you are love. If you speak profanely, then you are vulgar. Matthew 15:18 says, “But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man ‘unclean’.” What do your word choices, promises, vows say about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment