For a few months I have had this statement running through my mind, " Do you love me? Feed my sheep." It sometimes greets me when I first wake up, other times it comes to me in the middle of a conversation. It has made me think more and more about what "feeding sheep" looks like.
This week took a lot out of me. By the time today rolled around I was wiped. This afternoon I was sitting across from a person, and I didn't care what she said. All I cared about was that she said her piece so I could run my agenda. It made me feel literally sick to my stomach. I had to turn myself back on, and actually listen to her. I heard a teaching on Sunday about how sometimes we walk around and act like we have "Do Not Disturb" signs on our necks. I started off the day praising God, but I let circumstances of the day stop me from staying in praise mode. I decided to close others out and stop caring. That's NOT okay. God doesn't just call His children to look after one another when we are feeling awesome and on point. A lot of times blessing others is how we escape our bad moods. It is incredibly freeing to know this world does not revolve around us and our crazy, unpredictable emotions.
The way we show our love for Jesus is by loving others. The Bible says it is impossible to love God and hate one of His children. One of my joys is loving on others, but this week I learned that I have been using my own supply of love rather than relying on God. I am burnt out and depressed because I am not looking to Jesus to replace my love supply. The best way to fall back on God for me is to praise Him and sing songs that remind me of His infinite nature and steadfast love. One of my friends says that when you are in praise mode it is hard for the Enemy to come in and hit you. When my focus is on Christ I don't lose heart, when I lose sight of Him I begin to sink.
Feeding His sheep requires more than serving others out of a sense of duty or obligation. It is how we show God we love Him and that we trust Him to replenish us.
No comments:
Post a Comment