Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Post in A While

I haven't kept a blog since I lived in London. Recently I gave up going on Facebook, so I need to replace one habit with another.

My name is Sarah, and I am a 20-something trying to stop figuring everything out. Lately God has been calling me to be more patient (...yea....) and to trust Him more. Patience is not one of my favorite virtues to work out. It reminds me a lot of the gym. When someone goes to work out at the gym he/she usually likes to work out their favorite feature. I like to run on the treadmill, but I hate weight training (It has nothing to do with the fact that I have no upper-arm strength). Developing patience is like picking up a heavier weight for me. The whole time I am thinking "Why is this needed?" however I usually like the feeling of pride I have when I can open up the bottle of water all by myself (if only I was kidding...).

I want what I want when I want it. In the past if I didn't see God moving in an area of my life that I wanted Him to move in I would just try to make it happen myself. I actually believed that He would be so proud of me and give me an "A" for effort. You know cause I was being self-reliant. The sad thing is when I have chosen my timing over His timing my race has been hindered from progressing.

I know it makes God happier when I love Him and trust His timing rather than try to do things on my own. Also, doing things on my own apart from Him makes no sense. The opening stanza of Psalm 127 says "Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." If God isn't in it, then it is not worth it to make it happen because nothing will come of it. I don't want to do anything apart from God. With God there is success even in what others label a failure. God doesn't have us wait for the sake of waiting. He has us where we are for a reason. Pastor and author Mark Batterson wrote, "God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go." He will complete the good work in us that He has begun. God doesn't give up on us and He asks us to be patient so He can work out the details of the epic and legendary journey He has planned for those who love Him.

So I will keep doing my reps until my patience muscles are sculpted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment