Monday, September 19, 2011

You can't handle the Truth...or can you?


Tonight I took a walk around my neighborhood. I love walking at night because it is just still. You can hear the wind blow through the trees. Their branches sway and peace resonates over what once was hectic.  When I was in London I enjoyed walking to Waterloo Bridge at night. As they say cities never truly sleep, but a different sort of peace settled over it. A quiet you couldn’t find during the day found its way at dusk. I would just sit on my own little bench and just ponder out the day. I could ask questions I didn’t have time to consider in the middle of the day.

John 3 records a famous conversation between Jesus and a man named Nicodemus. Jesus didn’t get along very well with a group called the Pharisees. In their day it was the ultimate religious clique.  If you have seen the movie Mean Girls they were the Plastics (They didn’t use a slam book, but they literally slammed people) They set the standards for the people, and made an example of those that failed to live up to their standards. They pointed out the weakness in others to try to distract from their own vile habits: pride, greed, and selfishness. Jesus threatened them because he called them out on their hypocritical ways. He saw beyond their “holy” appearances; he saw their hearts. Nicodemus was a Pharisee. To be seen with Jesus was a big time no-no for him, but he had questions and something inside of him said Jesus held the answers. In the cover of night Nicodemus met with Jesus. Nicodemus knew that Jesus was from God, but didn’t know what to make of it. The famously quote John 3:16 comes from their conversation. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” The next verse goes on to that God sent His Son to save the world, not to condemn it. What does that really mean? I quote that a lot and I believe it, but what does it look like in my own life? What does it look like in your life? God’s love is for us. It means that God chose us. God wants us. God desires and plans good things for us. When we accept His love for us and the way He showed His Love we receive the ultimate reward: a life with Him, a life with the One who loves and wants us.

Nicodemus came to Jesus with questions, and He answered them; however, Nicodemus didn’t understand. God can handle our questions. He made us. He knows how to answer them. The real question is are our hearts ready to receive the answers. Personal opinion: I don’t think Nicodemus was ready. He wanted to hold onto his pride. He wanted to believe that he could somehow save himself through religious ritual. Today people believe that good works or reliance on their intellect can justify them. Jesus vetoed that idea then and He rejects it now. He said that his belief couldn’t be found in himself. He could only find life through Jesus Christ. Some of you reading this have been looking for the truth for a long time. I pray that you are ready to receive this truth. I also know that some of you will not understand. It doesn’t change the fact that this is the truth. Truth doesn’t become truth simply because somebody believes it. Truth is truth whether you believe it or not. God loved us enough to give of Himself to a world that rejects and hates Him. You may think God is crazy, and you know what you are right. He doesn’t think like us and his ways are not like ours. His ways are better. Much better.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8

1 comment:

  1. Love this...I was encouraged! Loved the reference to mean girls;)

    ReplyDelete